Compact florescent light bulbs (CFLs) have been popularized for their money and energy savings and thus they are better for the environment. But is this really true?
I have found that many are unaware that these CFLs actually contain mercury, actually 4mg on average. You may not think that 4mg is much but try ingesting that and see what happens (please don’t try this and you will most likely die).
Well the problem lies in that fact that this mercury is getting back into the environment. How do you and most others dispose of these bulbs? You throw them in the rubbish, which ends up in land fill. Then the mercury leaks in the ground and eventually into the ground water.
Are we poisoning ourselves and the environment by using these CFLs? Of course we are and I am shock to find out how many people actually know this.
There are better ways to save money and save the environment.
One way is through the power of the Sun. Solar panels have become much cheaper and more powerful. You can run your entire house off solar energy. With a short term investment you can make a huge long term saving in both money and the environment.